Special populations include:
- Young children and the elderly
- Children and adults with special needs (e.g. autism, cerebral palsy, and intellectual disability)
- Medically compromised individuals
Some populations may be unable to cooperate; therefore, it may be necessary to refer these individuals to a dentist skilled in behavior management. Don't ignore oral issues! The needs of this population, as well as the risks associated with neglecting oral health, are high.
- Solicit advice from the caregiver on the most productive approach.
- Enlist the caregiver in the process.
- Consider splitting exam up over several visits and doing a little bit more at each visit.
- Know your local referral resources and who works best with different populations.