People with dentures often have problems with fit and comfort. Dentures should be replaced every 7-10 years due to bony changes over time.
- Remove dentures when performing oral exams to visualize the tissues beneath.
- Counsel patients on proper denture care to avoid complications such as denture sores, mucositis, and denture stomatitis (erythematous candidiasis).
- Remove dentures at night.
- Brush with denture brush or soft toothbrush to remove debris. Denture paste or mild dish soap can be used.
- Place dentures in denture cleanser soaking solution or in water overnight. Rinse thoroughly before replacing in mouth.
- Be aware that some people will require a caregiver to manage this aspect of their oral hygiene.