For infants and older children, limit the number of eating and drinking occasions that contain sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Strongly promote breastfeeding.
- Infants should be held when feeding.
- Avoid propping the bottle in crib or car seat, etc.
- Fill bottle with only breast milk or formula.
- Establish regular meal times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Limit snacks to once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
- Only give milk or water between meals.
- Restrict fruit juice to 4 ounces per day at regular meal times.
- Avoid snacks that contain added sugar.
- Prepare healthy snacks such as cheese, fresh fruit, and vegetables.