Cavitations represent areas where loss of enamel has exposed underlying dentin.
Appearance & Symptoms
- Anterior upper incisors are typically affected first.
- Lesions are initially pale yellow and become progressively darker as they become stained with pigments from food.
- Teeth may be sensitive to thermal changes and sweet or sour foods or drinks.
- Children may be too young to articulate symptoms.
Treatment & Referral
- Immediate dental referral should be arranged
- Some cavities may be restored using fluoride releasing restorative materials.
- Provide dietary and oral hygiene counseling.
- Use of topical fluoride to prevent development of new lesions.