Management of dental trauma begins with a systematic approach to assessment of the patient as follows:
Triage Procedure Order
- Check airway, breathing, and circulation.
- Determine if other life-threatening injuries are present.
- Perform a neurologic exam.
- Assess the cervical spine.
- Check for skull, orbit, zygomatic, or mandibular fractures.
- Evaluate extraoral soft tissue injuries.
- Conduct intraoral examination.
- Determine if injury is to primary or permanent teeth.
- Assess availability of dental care.