This course addresses the nature of oral pain, as well as acute dental problems precipitated by oral infections or trauma. Healthcare providers will learn to treat oral pain; accurately assess, treat, and refer patients with oral infections; recognize and triage true dental emergencies; and promote the use of protective equipment to prevent oral injuries.
Educational Objectives for the Acute Dental Problems Course are:
- Diagnose, initially manage, and appropriately refer:
- Oral pain
- Oral infections
- Dental trauma to primary and permanent teeth
- Describe the common characteristics of dental trauma in children and adults.
- Identify two true dental emergencies.
- Implement strategies aimed at the prevention of oral injuries.
This course takes approximately one hour to complete. Each clinical case takes about 10 minutes.
If you are already logged in, scroll down to the Course Content and select a topic to begin this course. If you are not logged in, select the green Register for Courses link above. You can navigate through the course by pressing the "Next Page" and "Previous Page" buttons, or select each page on the left sidebar menu. The "Mark Complete" button will also automatically advance the page. If you are only completing a few pages at a time, you may utilize the "Mark Complete" feature at the bottom to track your progress in each course. It is not necessary to mark each page to complete the course or to be eligible to take the assessment.
All authors involved in producing the content of this course have indicated they have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Course Steering Committee Authors
- Denise Rizzolo, PA-C, PhD
- Joanna M. Douglass, B.D.S., D.D.S.
Smiles for Life Editors
- Melinda Clark, M.D.
- Karlynn Sievers, M.D.
The images in this course are not to be reproduced/downloaded for purposes other than personal use. Republication, retransmission, reproduction or other use of the Licensed Material is prohibited.
Important note: If you have completed a Smiles for Life course and need to print another copy of the certificate:
- Login to your account and navigate to the My Account page in the upper right corner.
- Scroll until you see the course for which you would like to print another certificate.
- On the right hand side, you will see a small button in the shape of a certificate or a drop down menu. Click the course button to view your certificates in the second column and click the certificate you wish to download and print or save.