Gingivitis is characterized by inflammation of the gingiva without destruction of the periodontal ligament or bone, which distinguishes it from periodontitis.
- Mild gum swelling
- Bleeding gums
- Plaque builds up due to poor oral hygiene.
- Changes in hormone levels can modify the gingival response to plaque, resulting in increased gingivitis.
- Oral foreign bodies such as popcorn kernels are a frequent culprit in acute gum inflammation.
Preventive Measures & Treatment
- Good home hygiene including frequent brushing and flossing
- Regular dental visits to remove plaque accumulation and reinforce appropriate home care